lunes, 20 de enero de 2014

Past Simple vs. Past Continuous

We've already seen these two tenses in class and I reminded you that it's similar to Spanish tenses but we have more tenses in our language. Compare these sentences:
  • Llovía cuando llegué a casa: It was raining when I got home
  • Estaba lloviendo cuando llegué a casa: It was raining when I got home
  • Llovió mucho ayer: It rained a lot yesterday
  • Estuvo lloviendo todo el día: It was raining the whole day
If you see the grammar section it's said that it's quite usual to find simple past and past continuous together, especially when you use when or while:
  • She was working at the office when I phoned her
  • While I was watching TV, Susan phoned
However, sometimes you can use it in a different way:
  • While I was cleaning my husband was making dinner
Remember we use past continuous to make the action sound more interesting, more lively.

If you want to practise, use these links with exercises:

No hay comentarios:

Preparing final exams

 This entry is to help you with the final exams, especially for A2. But if you want, you can use it to practise with A1 as well. You can use...