lunes, 3 de marzo de 2014

Purpose, Cause and Reason clauses

As the own name indicates, these clauses are used to express the purpose, why the action is done.
  • I went to the market to buy some fruit
There are some possible forms to introduce purpose clauses:
  • TO + infinitive / IN ORDER TO + infinitive (SO AS TO + infinitive)
  • IN ORDER NOT TO + inifinitive / SO AS NOT TO + infinitive
  • SO THAT + Subject + Verb
Look at these examples:
  • I visited the doctor to lose weight
  • I visited the doctor in order to lose weight
  • I visited the doctor in order not to have health probles for losing weight
  • I visited the doctor so that he could give me some advice to lose weight
Notice that FOR+ -ing form is also possible but the infinitve form is much more common. 
If you want to get a further explanation you can go to this link; click here
For practising, you can do these exercises:
In unit 7.2 the book deals with purpose, cause and result clauses so you can go to this link to see a long explanation and an exercise at the end but it's of a much higher level; click here
Remember there is a link between the three kinds of clauses and it depends on you and what you want to say to use one or another.

  • I went to the pub to meet my friends
  • I went to the pub because I wanted to meet my friends
  • I wanted to see my friends so I went to the pub
To finish with, let's see the different forms and meanings of SO:
  • SO + adjective: She's so nice
  • SO MUCH + singular/uncountable nouns  and   SO MANY + plural: I don't have so much money but I have so many coins
  • SO THAT+S+V: I bought some medicine so that she could have it
  • SO .... THAT .... : She was so tired that she went to bed
  • Some expressions: and SO on; I think/hope SO; Do you like it? SO,SO
  • You can also go to this link; click here
To finish with, here you have this song to see the use of infinitive of purpose: what can I do to make you love me?




No hay comentarios:

Preparing final exams

 This entry is to help you with the final exams, especially for A2. But if you want, you can use it to practise with A1 as well. You can use...