jueves, 17 de diciembre de 2020

A2-B1: Present Perfect and Past Simple

This is a difficult grammar point for Spanish speakers because we think that present perfect is a kind of past in Spanish (we called it pretérito perfecto simple). Let's see the main differences between these two tenses:

Present Perfect
  • it focuses on the result of the action and this result happens in the present time: I've already eaten, thank you.
  • the reference of time is not precised and it usually means up to now: I've seen that fillm many times; I think I've seen you before.
  • this tense usually goes with expressions like: 
    • EVER/NEVER: Have you ever eaten Thai food? No, never
    • ALREADY: I've alredy finished my sandwich
    • YET: She hasn't finised yet. What about your? Have you finished yet? 
    • JUST: Yes, I've just finished
    • FOR and SINCE: I've had it since I was a child/for a long time
Past Simple
  • it focuses on the past action; it's usually referred to memories or past events. The reference of time is clearly in past so it goes with expressions such as : 
    • ___ AGO: I saw her 3 weeks ago
    •  LAST ____ : They went on holiday last month
    • IN ___  : I was born in 1990
    • WHEN ____ : I could swim when I was 7
    • YESTERDAY: She called me yesterday
If you need more help with this grammar point, you can visit these useful links:
  • A short explanation with a diagram to explain the difference: click here
  • This link from the British Council gives you the explanation of present perfect and then it is compared with past simple: click here
You also have these useful links to practise but the best way is to do it speaking:

No hay comentarios:

Preparing final exams

 This entry is to help you with the final exams, especially for A2. But if you want, you can use it to practise with A1 as well. You can use...