lunes, 27 de febrero de 2012

Using conditional sentences


There are several ways of the conditionals in English. Here you have a diagram:

TYPE
MEANING
IF-CLAUSE
MAIN CLAUSE
Type 0 or
REAL
General truth; you can substitute if for when

Present
If you boil water
Present
it evaporates
Type 1 or 
REAL
Possible condition; it is likely to happen

Present
If I have time
Future
I’ll go to the cinema
Type 2 or
UNREAL
Improbable condition; it is very hypothetical this could happen

Simple past
If I could buy a new car
Simple conditional
I’d take a van
Type 3
(not included)
Impossible conditional; this is referred to the past and it is more connected with regrets

Past perfect
If I’d known you were coming
Perfect conditional
I would have made your favourite dish
Mixed
conditional
(not included)
The condition is a regret but the results are in the present
Past perfect
If I’d thought about that twice
Simple conditional
I wouldn’t have so many problems


When we talk about using present or future, it means that they might be in the simple, continuous, perfect or perfect continuous form, depending on the message.

Now you can do these exercises to practise:

You can have a lot of examples of conditional in songs; here you have some:
  • UNREAL CONDITIONAL: "If I Were a Rich Man" with susbtitles; click here
  •  Another exaqmple: "What if You " click here




No hay comentarios:

Preparing final exams

 This entry is to help you with the final exams, especially for A2. But if you want, you can use it to practise with A1 as well. You can use...